musings, mutterings, and creative muddle. . .





Tuesday, March 4, 2014

It's All About Color

What's your favorite color?

Are you able to answer quickly? Do you have to think about it? Does it matter if it's a color of clothing? Or perhaps a house color? I always give a bit of a pause, balance if I'm going to wear it or stare at it on the wall, then respond. Then again. . . I've been perfectly obsessed with my favorite hue for multiple years and couldn't care less if my outfit blends in with the background;-)

It seems such a simple question and you would perhaps think that the answer doesn't change. . . But if your exposure to color changes as grow older, and color options change as you seek them out, then your favorite would change right along with it all, right? I think so! I mean - look at the options!!!



And what makes one color so much more appealing to you than another? Sometimes, is the name of the color? I've noticed when trying to decided on a paint color, and it's narrowed down to two, it's the name that helps make that final decision. Hmmm......





Each year Pantone announces a color of the year. This year that color is purple. Okay. Don't get excited - not *purple* but Radiant Orchid.


Pretty!!!

I always wonder how they decide. Is there a vote and I missed it? Do some other brilliant and bright people choose? How do they choose? Is there a fight or maybe it's a final coin toss that decides the winner? And so many colors to choose from. . .



And just because you have a favorite, does it mean you can't like other colors? Or perhaps, with the right media, create your own special hue. That's my favorite thing about paint. . . you can make your own colors as though they don't exist anywhere on the color wheel.



Sometimes a color will remind you of a particular person or evoke a certain memory - good or bad.

Orange always brings back warm thoughts of my Great-Grandmother.


She used to have Lucille Ball red hair, love to wear bright orange-gold-brown outfits, and occasionally wore a magnificent amber-stoned cocktail ring. I loved her dearly. . . though not the color orange. Funny thing, isn't it?

My favorite color is robin's egg blue -

and a little bluer to bright sky blue; and a little greener to mint green.



But not-so-much purple and definitely not yellow. Who knows why - robin's egg blue and its related hues just make me feel happy, warm, alive, comfortable. Reminds me of the softness of nature during Spring. Perhaps this chart could help. . .



Hmmm. . . Seems to pretty accurately describe me. . . And when I look up what was quite apparently my Great-Grandmother's favorite colors - it most certainly fits that feisty woman to a tee. Right down to her early October Birthday. What does it say about you and your favorite color?

So. . . tell me. . . what is *YOUR* favorite color?

Have a Colorful Kind of Day ~

Robin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment