musings, mutterings, and creative muddle. . .





Friday, May 27, 2016

Getting Hooked on a Mirror. . .

of a different color. . .

I have this mirror. A pretty mirror. I like it a lot. It has a little shelf and hooks and is just perfect for catching my random jewelry bling. But it just didn't match my decor. Not at all. A distressed off-white with a brown-red-black iron scroll on top and brassy looking hooks below the shelf. . . nope. It just didn't make the cut.

Then. . . lightbulb!




With the help of my trusty drill (and a variety of bits), I removed the iron scroll (setting it aside to be painted), and took off the brassy hooks (saving them for another project - I had something different in mind). I taped the mirror securely so the spray paint wouldn't find it, did some light sanding and started the transformation.

First I painted it a deep gray-blue, just as the base. Then I topped it with a medium jade in satin - not too heavily done. And on top of that I sprayed (my favorite color, as you know) matte robin egg blue in an even, but not quite heavy coat. And I allowed a few splatters. And I didn't try very hard to get every angle and every nook and cranny. The idea was to allow the colors to meld, blend, reflect on each other and give it all some depth.  I thought about doing some light sanding in critical spots (like along the shelf edge) to really give it a warm, worn look. But I liked it too much the way it was.



The wrought iron scroll (after a good brushing to remove in loose paint) got a base coat of heavy-black. Nice and thorough, not missing even a crease. Then a layer of bronze was lightly coated over the top. And over that (just to bring the metallic of the bronze paint down a couple notches) I
misted a deep walnut brown-black over that. Excellent.



Now, for the knobs. . . How about some porcelain painted metal number tags for fun? Yes. I think so. Then some vintage-look glass drawer knobs in the (couldn't have been any closer if it had been planned) same color as the shelf with bronze screw covers just to keep things neat looking.  Some good ol' E-6000 to secure the tags, back to the trust drill for the perfect sized holes for the knobs.



Then. . . reattach the iron piece and remove the tape from the mirror.



Oh! Bam! Perfect!!!!

This project was a rather impromptu one - thus the lack of 'before' and 'during' photos. I was too excited and in-the-moment to slow down long enough to grab the camera. The important thing is, there are some cool 'after' shots, right?

Have a Through-the-Looking-Glass kind of day ~

Robin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment