musings, mutterings, and creative muddle. . .





Thursday, June 30, 2016

Gussying It Up For Guests

Guest rooms. We've all got some kind of experience with them. I've stayed in a few in my lifetime and I've had a few.

Moving to our new home (a veritable vacation spot with lake, museums, shopping, restaurants. . . ) , my goal was to have clean, cozy and comfortable guest rooms. I used to run a B & B, for pete's sake. . . I know how to gussy up a room for guests. I got this.  And I did. Sort of. . .




But where's the personality as seen throughout the rest of the house? Goodness sakes! We moved to be nearer the lake life and we have a virtual forest in our backyard. Not to mention my affection for all things birdy and nature-y (new word!) as seen in every other room, but this one. What. The. Heck?

One quick switch of the bed so the first thing you notice when you walk into the room (and first thing Guest sees when he/she wakes up) is the view.


That view. Yes.


Moving the bed left slim room on either side for table and lamps - no fear! How about a stand-mounted basket (not sure what that stand was actually supposed to go to, but a couple nuts and bolts and suddenly I had a clever table with a bit of storage to boot) and lamp (with birdy finial) on the wall side


and a full-of-character (and sealed with clear coat) vintage ladder


and freshly painted and topped floor lamp for the other. Niiiiiice. . .



Now, what about that wall? Had to keep everything thin as possible and up a little higher than usual so anyone trying to climb in that side of the bed doesn't have to worry about knocking everything off the wall. . . Hmmmm. . . what to do, what to do?? A little digging through my stash-pile and I came up with that fun tray which set the mood for the rest - pictures from past lake trips, vintage lake post cards and all framed in weathered wood and seashell frames. Score!





But where to sit? And set luggage? A couple old beautiful boards I've been hoarding for years-years-years finally have a use!!!! Some gentle sanding and waxing of the boards, an addition of painted legs and... statement making benches that help frame the window.


Love. It.

A few more touches - keeping the outdoor theme and touches of denim blue in mind. A hat perfect for the beach.


Some shells and rocks in a metal basket - not to mention a sweet little embroidered velvet pillow.


 vintage vacation slides, viewer and photo album


and now I have a guest room that I love to go look at. . . and even curl up on the bed for a nap.


That is, unless there are guests visiting (which is often).




Have a Gussy-Guest room kind of day -

Robin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment